Glenn is one of the Atlanta camp survivors. Although not specified on the series, it is implied that Glenn is an Atlanta native. Prior to the outbreak, he delivered pizzas. His knowledge of Atlanta’s streets along with his ability to think on his feet and his flair for strategy are very valuable to the group as they have to avoid walkers while trying to rescue Merle Dixon.
Glenn shows genuine concern and affection for his fellow survivors. He often volunteers to scavenge needed supplies, despite the obvious danger to himself in doing so. His uncanny abilities to get into town, get what he needs, and get back to camp safely, makes Glenn a very valuable asset to the group. After becoming involved with Maggie, however, Glenn realizes his earlier behavior was due in part to not having anyone who cared about or loved him. He felt torn after not coming to the aid of Rick and Herschel because he was concerned about his dying would affect Maggie.
Despite the horrors he has seen, Glenn remains hopeful about the future, perhaps because of Maggie Greene.
Glenn is played by American actor Steven Yeun. He has been featured in various guest roles on The Big Bang Theory, Law & Order LA, and Warehouse 13. He has also appeared in a wide variety of television commercials including ads for Best Buy, Apple, and Milky Way. Yeun also performed voice work for the video games Crysis and Crysis Warhead.
- Yeun was born in Seoul, South Korea and raised in Troy, Michigan. (When he was very young, his family immigrated first to Canada, then to the U.S.)
- He speaks English and Korean.
- Yeun received a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Kalamazoo College in 2005. He was supposed to go to medical school, but instead decided to pursue acting.
- In the graphic novels, Hershel catches Glenn and Maggie having sex.
- Unlike the TV series, in the graphic novels, Herschel never refers to Glenn as “the Asian boy.”
- Yeun is a former member of the acclaimed Second City comedy improv troupe in Chicago.
- In the graphic novels, when the group leaves the Greene farm, Glenn stays behind to be with Maggie.
- Yeun said the first time he was recognized in public was at an L.A. in a Best Buy store while the first season was airing. He described the experience as “terrifying.”
- Although good at keeping small confidences, Yeun admits he is like Glenn when it comes to big ones. “I usually tell people not to tell me because I’ll tell someone else,” he said in an interview.