Amy is one of the Atlanta camp survivors and is the younger sister of Andrea. The two sisters were on a road trip, with Andrea taking Amy back to college for the fall term, when the Wildfire outbreak occurred. After experiencing car trouble, they were picked up by Dale Horvarth in his RV and the three ultimately ended up on the outskirts of Atlanta. Early in the series, Amy is bitten by a walker and dies. Just as she reanimates, Andrea shoots her. Although a “minor” character that isn’t around for long, Amy plays an extremely important role. It is losing Amy that propels Andrea to become less of a victim and be more proactive about her own and the group’s safety.
Amy is played by American actress Emma Bell. She has appeared in the movies Gracie and The Favor, and played the lead roles in Frozen and Final Destination 5. Her resume also include guest roles on Law & Order, Law & Order Special Victims Unit, Dollhouse, Supernatural, and Third Watch.
- Bell and co-star Laurie Holden, who plays Amy’s sister, Andrea, on the TV series, share a birthday. Both were born on December 17th.
- Born in New Jersey, Bell moved to New York City at the age of 16 to pursue a career in acting.
- The walker that bit Amy was played by Greg Nicotero, the special effects guru responsible for the walkers’ makeup on the show.
- About co-star Jeffrey DeMunn, Bell said she nicknamed him Gandalf, “he sits there and he’s so strong and calm, even as zombies are running past. He’ll have this anecdote of wisdom and it’s just like, ah, where is your staff?”
- Amy’s death in the TV series was almost identical to the character’s death in the graphic novels, complete with the fact she left the fire to use the bathroom just as the walkers attacked the camp. The only difference is that in the graphic novel, Andrea does not wait for Amy to reanimate her before shooting Amy.
- No last name is given for Amy in either the graphic novel or the television series.